Swanmore Park House

Date:
22 Aug 1999
Location:
Swanmore Park House, Park Lane, Swanmore, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32 2QQ
Reference:
IOE01/02207/27
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SU 51 NE SWANMORE PARK LANE Upper Swanmore 1879- /4/10006 Swanmore Park House

II

Country house, converted into flats. 1878-82, by Alfred Waterhouse for Charles Myers; converted into flats in mid C20. Red brick with coloured concrete dressings. clay shaped tile roof with gabled ends and pierced ridge-tiles. Brick axial stacks with brick shafts and corbelled brick tops. PLAN: Built around a small central well with the principal rooms on the west, south and east fronts, service rooms to the north, truncated; later in the C19 a billiard room wing was added to the south west by Waterhouse and in about the mid C20 the whole house was converted into six flats. High Victorian Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical gabled elevations with decorative brickwork comprising blind arcading in the gables, brick corbelling, a deep frieze of raised brick diaperwork between ground and first floor windows and mullion-transom windows with cambered heads to the lights. The west front of six bays with gabled wing on left with canted and crenellated 2-storey bay window and with large gable and porch in the left angle; smaller gables to the range on the left. The east elevation has projecting gabled bay to right of centre with integral lean-to porch and buttress on left with round arch doorway (now window) and above an armorial panel; lower projecting gable to left. South garden front has slightly advanced gabled bay on right and canted bay to left of centre with steeply pitched hipped roof with ornate wrought-iron weathervane; single storey billiard room wing on left with gable on its east front and large lantern on the roof. The rear (north) has projecting gable on right and truncated wing on right. The small inner courtyard is partly covered by a canopy in the form of a 2-bay timber wagon roof. INTERIOR: Converted into flats when a hall and staircase were destroyed, but other rooms have survived, including the dining room with a ribbed moulded plaster ceiling and the drawing room in a Neo-classical style; several original chimneypieces remain and in the entrance porch there is some stained glass. SOURCE: Cunningham, P., Alfred Waterhouse: A Biography of a Practice, page 253.



Listing NGR: SU5823617377

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1294 IOE Records taken by Peter MacLeod; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter MacLeod. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Macleod, Peter

Rights Holder: Macleod, Peter

Keywords

Brick, Clay, Concrete, Tile, Victorian Counting House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Apartment

Back
to top