Church Of St Mary
- 8 Oct 1999
- Church Of St Mary, Lapley Stretton And Wheaton Aston, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 81 SE LAPLEY C.P. WHEATON ASTON.
5/74 Church of St. Mary.
- - II*
Church. 1857 by Bidlake and Lovatt, Chancel 1893 by Lynhm. Random coursed rough faced red and white sandstone with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs banded with scalloped tiles, crested ridge and verge parapets. S.W. porch, Nave, North Aisle, North West Tower, lower Transepts and Chancel in Lancet style. Two light, pointed windows generally, three light East window with flowing tracery. Interior: Four bay Nave with pointed arcade to North and pointed arch to Chancel of two bays. Scissor braced and boarded roof of heavier section in Chancel. Oak screen dated 1892; pulpit with some bas relief carving; plain font and pews. Glass in East window by Kempe. Replaces C17 Chapel of Ease of one cell without tower depicted in a watercolour over the South West door.
Listing NGR: SJ8516612554
© Mr GW Tanner. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Tanner, Gw
Rights Holder: Tanner, Gw
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship