The Liverpool Bank / Barclays Bank

Date:
23 Jul 2000
Location:
The Liverpool Bank, County Square, Ulverston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12 7AL
Show all locations
Barclays Bank, County Square, Ulverston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12 7AL
Reference:
IOE01/02253/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ULVERSTON

SD2878 COUNTY SQUARE 626-1/3/12 (South side) Barclays Bank

GV II

Bank. Built c1902 as the Liverpool Bank. Snecked red sandstone on a limestone plinth with red sandstone ashlar dressings, slate roof, and a copper dome. 2 storeys. Built in a Jacobean style, with an irregular plan on a corner site, with mullioned and transomed windows and with shaped gables with ball finials. At eaves level there is a band of carved foliage decoration. The ground-floor windows have leaded lights in lozenge patterns. At the corner there is a canted bay window which rises above eaves level as a domed octagonal turret. To its right is a doorway with a segmental pediment carried on granite columns, and farther right a wider gabled bay aligned with Cavendish Street. To the left of the turret a narrow bay links it with a wide projecting gabled bay. To its left there is a projecting chimney breast with a doorway to its right flanked by pilasters and narrow lights, under a segmental shell pediment. A gable with mullioned and transomed windows faces south-east towards County Street.



Listing NGR: SD2865178187

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1888 IOE Records taken by David E Smith; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David E. Smith. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Smith, David E.

Rights Holder: Smith, David E.

Keywords

Ashlar, Copper, Limestone, Mortar, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Victorian Bank (Financial), 20th Century Commercial

Back
to top