Church Of Holy Trinity
- 25 Jul 2000
- Church Of Holy Trinity, Urswick, South Lakeland, Cumbria
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 37 SW URSWICK BARDSEA
19/108 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. 1843-53. By G. Webster. Dressed stone with rock-faced stone base, ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with north vestry, east apse and west tower and spire. 5-bay nave has weathered buttresses and corbel table.
2-light traceried windows and sill course. Gabled south porch has clasping buttresses and pointed entrance with niche over. North vestry is similar, with chimney in form of open pinnacle to gable end. Canted abse has battered base, nook shafts and Lombard frieze. 3 traceried lights. Tower has angle buttresses and 2-light west window. Lower part of spire is splayed with 2-light windows; upper part of spire slopes at shallower angle, with lucarnes. Interior has chancel arch with responds. Apse has nook shafts and ribbed ceiling. Good C20 stained glass to apse windows by Wilhelmina Geddes (1955); C19 glass to other windows, some by Shriggley and Hunt. Octagonal stone font; original pews, some with poppy head. Pulpit has arcading to sides; arcaded chancel rail. The church is a prominent landmark on the coast of Morecambe bay.
Listing NGR: SD3011274548
© Mr David E. Smith. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Smith, David E.
Rights Holder: Smith, David E.
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship