Almshouses By Churchyard / Purril's Almshouses

Date:
17 Jun 2000
Location:
Almshouses By Churchyard, Main Road, Benington, Boston, Lincolnshire
Show all locations
Purril's Almshouses, Main Road, Benington, Boston, Lincolnshire
Reference:
IOE01/02254/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TF 34 NE BENINGTON MAIN ROAD (west side)

8/5 Purril's Almshouses (formerly listed as 19.11.51 Almshouses by Churchyard)

G.V. II

5 almshouses. C15, rebuilt 1728, altered C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, front range with concrete pantile roof and brick coped partly tumbled gables, rear range with shallow slate roof. 11 bay, single storey front range having brick dentillated eaves, with 2 C20 doors and 9 C20 glazing bar sashes, all with segmental brick heads. Beneath the eaves an ashlar plaque records the rebuilding in 1728 by the Charity of Mr. Wm Porril. The side of the rear range has 4 two light sliding sashes to ground floor and 3 similar windows to first floor, all with brick segmental heads. In the side are 2 sections of C15 ashlar frieze of blank shields and cusped tracery. The school and bedehouses were bequeathed by Mr.

William Purrill in his will dated 31st July 1725. Source: Thompson, History of Boston.

Listing NGR: TF3973846566

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1788 IOE Records taken by John Scarbro; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr John Scarbro. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Scarbro, John

Rights Holder: Scarbro, John

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Concrete, Pantile, Slate, Tile, Medieval Almshouse, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building

Back
to top