- 3 Aug 2000
- Christ Church, Blackburn Road, Bolton, Greater Manchester
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SOUTH TURTON BLACKBURN ROAD SD 71 SW (west side)
Walmsley 5/62 Christ Church - G.V. II
Church. 1839-40. By E. Sharpe. Stone with smooth ashlar dressings and slate roof. 6-bay nave with aisles and west tower, transepts, and chancel with organ loft to south and lean-to vestry to north. Sill courses and top cornices and parapets with roll-moulded coping. Aisles have shallow gabled buttresses and set back buttresses to angles. Sill course and paired lancets with hood moulds and plain stops.
Clerestory has flat buttresses and stepped triple lancets.
Gabled porches, that to south with moulded arch and paired 2-panel doors, that to north has diagonal buttresses. Tower has gabled setback buttresses and 2 string courses. Paired and single lancets and louvred stepped triple lancets as bell openings. Top corbelled parapet and 4 pinnacles.
Transepts of 2 gabled bays with angle buttresses and 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery and head stops. Chancel has 5 stepped lancets to east, weathered angle buttresses and cornice. Vestry has segmental-pointed entrance head.
Interior: Nave arcades have monolithic quatrefoil piers.
Fishbone trusses to roof. West gallery on 2 cast iron columns has trefoil arcading and stair with braced balusters; porch beneath. 2 windows, Morris and Co. by Burne-Jones, dated 1872 and 1895; grisaille quarries and figures above square scenes. 2-bay arcades to transepts, that to south a chapel. C20 altar and reredos incorporates C15 Spanish altar piece; 3 panels with gilded dropped tracery heads and pinnacles; scenes are: Christ before Pilate, Deposition with Symbols of Passion and Pieta. Font removed from Bolton Parish Church in 1952; octagonal, ogee- arched panels to base and tracery and shields to bowl; base of bowl has black-letter inscription recording dedication, 1845. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts. Reredos has arched mosaic panels, altar moved forward. Stained glass dated 1858, early Gothic Revival with much blue glass, scenes from Life of Christ.
Listing NGR: SD7106814211
© Mr David H Swain. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Swain, David H
Rights Holder: Swain, David H
Ashlar, Cast Iron, Slate, Stone, Georgian Church, Victorian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship