Church Of St Andrew
- 12 Sep 2001
- Church Of St Andrew, Church Square, Bude Stratton, North Cornwall, Cornwall, EX23 9DD
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 23 06 BUDE-STRATTON CHURCH SQUARE, STRATTON
13/167 Church of St Andrew 5-3-52
Parish Church. C12 font, mid C14 north aisle, C15 tower, south aisle and chancel, late C19 vestry, restoration and partial rebuilding of 1888 by St Aubyn and Wadling. North aisle stone rubble, north arcade polyphant. Chancel, south aisle and tower ashlar masonry, south arcade granite. Medieval dressings granite, C19 dressings, Ham Hill and probably Hatherleigh stone. North arcade Decorated, rest of church Perpendicular in style. West tower, nave, chancel, 6-bay north and south arcades, C19 vestry at north east. Chancel has granite coping to gable end and 4-light traceried Perpendicular granite east window under hoodmould. Some renewal of tracery. North side of chancel has square-headed 2-light freestone cusped window under hoodmould. South side of chancel has similar 3-light window.
East window of south aisle 4-light Perpendicular traceried window under hoodmould.
Five 3-light windows to south side and one to west end of south aisle retain C15 granite sills, jambs, arches and hoodmoulds with C19 freestone Perpendicular tracery. Narrow 4-centred arched chamfered priest's door on north side. East, west and 2 easternmost windows of north aisle 3-light C19 Decorated traceried windows under hoodmoulds. 2 westernmost windows of north side arched freestone 3- light windows without cusping under hoodmoulds, probably C19 replacements of C16 windows. Blocked chamfered elliptical arched doorway in west wall of north aisle.
Tall 3-stage battlemented west tower with moulded strings and C19 Ham Hill corner pinnacles with crockets and finials and grotesques at the base. Tower has tall set back buttresses of unusual section and slightly projecting rectangular north east stair turret. Rectangular opening on east wall at bell ringers' stage, 3- light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery. West front of tower has C14 Ham Hill doorway, window and statue replacing medieval Polyphant work. Elaborate moulded 4-centred arched doorway under moulded square head. Order of vine carving round doorway, flowers carved in square-headed frame. Small pilasters to either side of doorway rise to frame west window and terminate in tall engaged gabled crocketted pinnacles. 3-light Perpendicular style west window in deep moulded recess has ogival hoodmould terminating in an engaged crocketted finial. Crockets carved on hoodmould. Statue niche above appears to be medieval work. North east vestry has flamboyant east window and 2 flamboyant north windows with ogival heads to left of stone chimney. Porch has granite coping and kneelers and moulded 4- centred arched granite outer doorway under sundial in gable. Porch roof Perpendicular open waggon with moulded ribs and bosses, vine-carving on wall plate. Granite tops of stone benches probably re-used coping stones. Circa early C19 plank door of parish lock-up fixed to west wall of church is studded and has the word "CLINK" picked out in studs. Moulded 4-centred arched inner door with carvings in spandrels.
Interior: Walls plastered except for arcade walls. C14 Decorated polyphant north arcade financed circa 1348 by Sir Ralph de Blanchminster. Piers are raised on rectangular blocks and consist of 4 large shafts with quirks between. Piers support double-chamfered arches. South arcade, rebuilt 1888, consists of Perpendicular granite monolith piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows with conventional carved capitals supporting moulded arches. Open waggon roofs throughout with carved ribs and bosses look largely original. Low tower arch has a sunk moulding with a bead moulding round the arch. No chancel arch. Font, circa C12 bowl with cable moulding at base set on mid C19 stone base. C17 5-sided drum pulpit on wineglass stem has panels of round-headed blind arches. Some circa early C16 rectangular bench ends fixed to C20 benches have panels of blind tracery and are carved with monograms and armorial bearings. Large chamfered arched recess in north wall of chancel said to be Easter sepulchre but looks too small and plain.
Stair to former rood loft in south side, present rood screen 1901 by E H Sedding.
Mutilated effigy of cross-legged knight in window embrasure in north aisle probably late C13. Arundel brass fixed to west wall commemorates Sir John Arundell, died 1561. Brass figures, inscription and armorial bearings set in stone matrix which was formerly the lid of an altar tomb. East window by Morris Company designed by Burne-Jones. Good tower window and west window of north aisle by Kempe. Westernmost window of south aisle by Lavers Barraud and Westlake, 2 south aisle windows by Ward and Hughes. East window of north aisle and easternmost window of north side by Clayton and Bell. Royal Arms in plaster on Lady Chapel wall. The restoration of 1888 cost 2,000 and involved substantial repair to the tower and the complete rebuilding of the north aisle, Joyce Baylay, A Short History of the Church of St Andrew, Stratton. (h.d.)
Listing NGR: SS2315506486
© Hilary Phillips. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Phillips, Hilary
Rights Holder: Phillips, Hilary
Ashlar, Granite, Ham Hill Stone, Polyphant, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Medieval Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Effigy, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Lock Up, Civil, Prison, Legal Site