Paternoster Croft / Grove House / The Grange

Date:
29 Mar 2001
Location:
Paternoster Croft, Crooms Hill Se10, Greenwich, Greater London, SE10 8ER
Show all locations
Grove House, Crooms Hill Se10, Greenwich, Greater London, SE10 8ER
The Grange, 52 Crooms Hill Se10, Greenwich, Greater London, SE10 8ER
Reference:
IOE01/02261/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1.

4412 CROOMS HILL SE10 (West Side)

No 52 (The Grange) TQ 3877 26/G31 19.10.51.

II

2.

Formerly known as "Paternoster Croft" and later "Grove House".

House of mainly mid C17 appearance, with C18 alterations, concealing a much older core. Recent investigations have shown timber work possibly of C12. House was mentioned in a schedule of Ghent Abbey (to which the manor of Greenwich then belonged) in 1281, and was then said to have been restored in 1268. Edmund Chapman, chief joiner to Queen Elizabeth leased it from 1561-1568, It then became the residence of the Lanier family of musicians. In 1665 it was bought by Sir William Hooker, Sherriff and later Lord Mayor of London, who caused the gazebo (qv) to be built.

Main block has South front of 2 storeys and attic, 4 windows. Moderately low pitched, tiled roof has pediment-like gable end at right with projecting eaves supported on purlin ends; and deep eaves soffit resting on ends of ceiling joists.

Circular window in pediment. Stuccoed with rusticated quoins. Sash windows with glazing bars in near-flush moulded wood architraves. Right 1st floor window under gable in oriel bow. Door of 8 fielded panels, with cornice head and 3-pane rectangular fanlight, in 2nd bay from right. Doorcase of moulded architrave, sunk panel pilasters, pulvinated frieze and cornice hood on curved consoles.

Right return, of 1 window, under gable end similar to front. windows in canted bay through 2 floors. On 1st floor 3 sash windows with glazing bars, the centre one long and opening to wrought iron balcony. On ground floor bay completely glazed. Mid-late C18 West wing projecting in front and running on behind main block. In front 2 storeys, 2 recessed sash windows. Stucco. Roof of moderately high pitch renewed in machine tiles.

Listing NGR: TQ3853577248

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1584 IOE Records taken by Michael Philpot; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr Michael Philpot. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Philpot, Michael

Rights Holder: Philpot, Michael

Keywords

Stucco, Tile, Timber, Medieval House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Grange, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Religious House, Gazebo, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building

Back
to top