The Ranger's House / Chesterfield House

Date:
21 Jul 2000
Location:
The Ranger's House, Chesterfield Walk Se10, Greenwich, Greater London, SE10 8QX
Show all locations
Chesterfield House, Chesterfield Walk Se10, Greenwich, Greater London, SE10 8QX
Reference:
IOE01/02262/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1.

44l2 CHESTERFIELD WALK SE10 The Ranger's House (formerly Chesterfield House) TQ 3876 37/G21 19.10.51.

I

2.

Built circa 1690 by Andrew Snape. Additions mid C18 and early C19. Main west front of 2 storeys and basement, 7 windows. Brown brick with red brick dressings.

Stone dentil cornice and restored, balustraded parapet. Stone 1st floor band and stone moulded plinth coping. Central portion, faced in Portland stone, slightly recessed. Central entrance has Ionic columns and pilasters on pedestals supporting dentil cornice and pediment. 8 panel door, with radial fanlight, in moulded architrave with impost blocks and mask on keystone. Carved festoons in spandrels.

Small flanking windows have sunk panels above and below. On 1st floor a round arched central window with moulded architrave, impost blocks and keystone; and small flanking windows with entablatures. Other windows recessed sashes with glazing bars under gauged, segmental red brick arches, and sunk panels below.

When Lord Chesterfield acquired the house, in 1748, he added a 1-storey South wing in pinkish-yellow stock brick with projecting bows to front and rear. Stone entablature and blocking course, stone band continuous with 1st floor band of main house. This wing contains a suite of ballrooms, and is said to be by Isaac Ware. A North wing, with similar front but without the back projection, was built some time later. The wings have remarkable square, tapered brick chimneys.

Rear extension similar, without stone-faced centrepiece and with terrace all along.

Inside, a panelled hall with round arches, and early C18 staircase with cut string and 3 turned balusters to a tread, the middle one fluted. Ramped handrail with spiral end. Fluted newel posts, carved step ends. Panelled dado to stairwell has fluted pilasters. Several original marble fireplace surrounds remain. LCC plaque commemorates residences of 4th Earl of Chesterfield and Lord Wolseley.

Listing NGR: TQ3888776832

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1584 IOE Records taken by Michael Philpot; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr Michael Philpot. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Philpot, Michael

Rights Holder: Philpot, Michael

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument

Back
to top