Church Of St Michael And All Angels
- 16 Sep 2000
- Church Of St Michael And All Angels, Church Street, Keighley, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD22 8DR
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KEIGHLEY CHURCH STREET SE 0237 and SE 0337 (south side) 21/32 Haworth
23.2.55 Church of St Michael and All Angels
Church. Base of tower probably C16, upper part C18, rest of church rebuilt 1879 in late C13/early C14 style by T H and F Healey. Coursed, dressed millstone grit.
Graduated Westmorland slate roof. Aisled nave with south-west tower and south porch, chancel with southern chapel and north organ chamber. Nave: 6 bays.
Embattled Perpendicular tower at west end has stepped diagonal buttresses to base, 2 original blocks decorated with shields in south wall, original hoodmould to west window, and crocketed finials. Porch has double-chamfered, pointed-arch doorway with hoodmould; diagonal buttresses. 4- and 3-light flat-arched windows to aisle.
2-light pointed-arch windows to clerestory. Lower 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window flanked by 2 Saints' figures. Kneelers. Ashlar coping. Gable crosses.
Interior: Pointed-arch arcade on octagonal piers. Marble pulpit. Altar rails in elaborate late C13/early c14 style. John Wesley preached frequently in the C18 church. Patrick Bronte was the incumbent 1820-61.
Listing NGR: SE0298737215
© Mr John Gilkerson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Gilkerson, John
Rights Holder: Gilkerson, John
Ashlar, Gritstone (Sandstone), Lake District Slate, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Place Of Worship