- 21 Aug 2000
- Bushey House, High Street, Bushey, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD2 1BJ
- Photograph (Digital)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET (South side) Bushey
13/115 Bushey House 14.9.49
Large house, now offices. c.1825 possibly for T.Clutterbuck. Remodelled and enlarged c.1900 probably for E.H.Cuthbertson. Stuccoed brick, ashlar portico. Hipped slate roofs. Originally 5 bays, 1:3:1, extended to sides. 3 storeys. Central entrance and flanking ground floor bays behind a broad hexastyle Tuscan porch with a pediment. Outer bays of original block project slightly. Cross glazed casements. Plat band to first floor. Moulded band to second floor which has 2-light casements that to centre with an Ionic aedicular surround with a segmental pediment.
Modillioned eaves throughout. Pedimental gables to outer bays with oculi in blocked moulded surrounds. Flanking 2-storey wings set back slightly.
To left 3 bays, to right 4 bays with a ground floor canted bay with a blind aedicular frame to centre, stained glass in ground floor windows.
Further right a 5-bay 1-storey passage, 3 windows to central bay, all windows are tall and round headed with traceried heads. Pilaster buttresses. Coped parapet. Garden front: 5 bay central block has a 2 storey bow to centre with 3 windows, balusters in parapet. 3 central windows on 2nd floor have aedicular surrounds as at centre front. A glazed rectangular lantern is in central valley. Pilasters to a moulded cornice with round-arched breaks to centre, coved top light. 2-storey flanking wings with canted bays, that to left with segmental-headed ground floor French windows. In valleys behind each wing are octagonal lanterns with pilasters to moulded cornices with round arched breaks, ogee copper domes. Oriel windows on return walls. To left further 1, 2 and 3 storey blocks with similar features. Interior: entrance hall with triple arcade. C20 block attached to right not of special interest. (VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1321395204
© Mr V. M. Geduld. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Geduld, V. M.
Rights Holder: Geduld, V. M.
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Stucco, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building