The Market House
- 12 Jun 2000
- The Market House, 72 High Street, Steyning, Horsham, West Sussex, BN44 3RD
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STEYNING HIGH STREET 1. (north-east side) 5404 No 72 (The Market House) TQ 1711 24/105 15.3.55
C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor red brick, above tile-hung.
Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact on first floor. Modern window below. Stuccoed clock tower added about 1835 when the clock-face was brought here from Michelgrove, when this house was demolished. Cornice above, surmounted by a small belfry with weather-vane. At one time the building was used as the fire station and the alarm bell survives. After 1920 it became the Market Office.
Listing NGR: TQ1757311278
© Mr Robin Earl. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Earl, Robin
Rights Holder: Earl, Robin
Brick, Stucco, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Clock Tower, Unassigned, Tower, Building, Office, Weather Vane, Fire Station, Civil, Transport, Bell Tower, Religious Ritual And Funerary