Church Of St Giles

Date:
2 Jul 2000
Location:
Church Of St Giles, Walsall Street, Walsall, West Midlands, WV13 2DU
Reference:
IOE01/02289/23
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

WALSALL MB WALSALL STREET (south side) SO 99 NE Willenhall 6/116 Church of St Giles II

Church. 1866-7 by WD Griffin. Rock-faced red sandstone with tile roof.

Comprises a north-west tower, nave, aisles under pitched roofs, north and south transepts, lower chancel, and south chapel. The tower has angle buttresses, and a parapet stepped up in the centre. The bell openings are moulded, of two lights with Geometrical tracery and with gabled hoods over.

Below, on the west side, are two one-light windows. The west doorway, at the base of the tower, is moulded and pointed with a gabled hood over. The windows contain Geometrical tracery of various descriptions. The west nave window is of five lights, the west window of the south aisle of two. The south aisle is of four bays separated by buttresses, the north aisle of three, with a further one-light window to the right. The north transept has two windows, of three and four lights. The south transept has one of four lights.

The east window is of five lights. Interior: nave has four-bay arcades of pointed arches chamfered in two orders. The columns have foliated capitals and are of four clustered shafts, except for the eastern bay, which is wider and is separated from the others by a round column. At the west end is a very narrow bay spanned at mid-height by a segmental arch. This may have been connected with a gallery which has since been removed. The nave roof trusses have tie-beams, king-posts rising to the ridge, and arch-braces rising from the tie-beams to meet the king-posts below the ridge. All have wall-posts carried on stone corbels, alternate trusses having longer posts with curved braces rising from the corbels to meet in the centre of the tie-beam. In the spandrels of the arches formed are timber quatrefoils.

The chancel arch is moulded and pointed. Between the south chapel and the chancel is a three-bay arcade with round piers and foliated capitals. On the north side is an organ set within a stone arch. Re-set on the aisle walls are wall tablets of early C19 date. The east window contains late C19 glass.

Listing NGR: SO9671198478

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1018 IOE Records taken by John M Holt; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr John M Holt. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Holt, John M

Rights Holder: Holt, John M

Keywords

Sandstone, Tile, Timber, Georgian Commemorative Monument, Victorian Commemorative, Plaque, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship

Back
to top