Church Of St Mary
- 27 Aug 2000
- Church Of St Mary, Oxford Street, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV1 1HP
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO9596 OXFORD STREET, Bilston 895-1/15/23 (North side) 03/02/77 Church of St Mary
Church. 1827-9. By Francis Goodwin. Ashlar with parapeted roof. Early English style. 6-bay single-vessel nave and chancel; east apse and west tower. Windows have cusped iron Y-tracery in splayed reveals between offset buttresses, but narrow west bays have blind lancets with ogee hood; top cornice and high parapet; east canted apse has tall windows and entrance with 4-centred head and paired doors; flanking blind lancets and diagonal buttresses; canted west angles have 2-light windows over entrances with 4-centred heads; west end has tower with flanking blind windows; diagonal buttresses and pointed entrance with head stops to hood below 2-light window; gabled roundel, possibly for clock face; octagonal bell stage has truncated pinnacles with flying buttresses to angles; louvred lancets, parapet and 8 crocketed pinnacles. INTERIOR has 3 galleries on iron columns. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.70).
Listing NGR: SO9548296232
© Mr John M Holt. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Holt, John M
Rights Holder: Holt, John M
Ashlar, Georgian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship