Former Lodge To Highcliffe Castle

Date:
22 Sep 2000
Location:
Former Lodge To Highcliffe Castle, 179 Lymington Road, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 5EG
Reference:
IOE01/02291/18
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LYMINGTON ROAD 1. (South Side) 5187 HIGHCLIFFE

No 179 (Former lodge to Highcliffe Castle) SZ 2093 13/408 14.10.53.

II GV

2.

Several authorities date both lodges (Nos 179 and 181) at circa 1775 when house for the Earl of Bute was built by Adam or Capability Brown but architectural appearance that of 1830 when present castle was built. Stuccoed with wide eaves and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, road facade with centre, round arched, recess containing blank window space. Flanking side recesses surmounted by panels. 2 windows, those on side facing drive flanked by pilasters with niches. Windows, barred sashes and large contemporary angled bay.

The former boundary wall of Highcliffe Castle forms a group with Nos 179 and 181, the milestone opposite and St Mark's Parish Church, its Lychgate and the War Memorial in the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SZ2055593395

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0944 IOE Records taken by F G G Hawkins; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr F.G.G. Hawkins. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hawkins, F.G.G.

Rights Holder: Hawkins, F.G.G.

Keywords

Slate, Stucco, Georgian Lodge, Domestic

Back
to top