The Methodist Church

Date:
12 Aug 2000
Location:
The Methodist Church, Cheap Street, Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9 3BD
Reference:
IOE01/02304/05
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CHEAP STREET 1.

1625 (South West Side) The Methodist Church ST 6316 1/319 II GV 2.

184l-2. Galleries and western end of Church added in 1862. Further extension added in 1884. Hwn stone East front has gable to middle section with giant buttresses to each side, window of 3 lancet lights, above it, a blind rose window flanked by blind lancet panels. Porch with wide pointed arch and gable. In recession to either side, lower lean-to additions have tall windows with pointed heads, and blind arcading. Return walls (to galleries) of rubble, 5 window bays. West extension of ashlar, semi-octagonal apse with tall 2-light cinquefoil window with round quatrefoil with dripmould over to each facet, buttress with offsets at-each angle. An external stair against the external stair of the main body of the church descends to the undercroft and also rises to an entrance in the north-easternmost facet of the apse.

(See G H D Pitman "Exploring Sherborne", p 31).

Nos 54 and 56, Gate, lamp and overthrow between Nos 54 and 56, The Methodist Church and Nos 58 to 82 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6380916617

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0882 IOE Records taken by Brian Haigh; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Brian Haigh. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Haigh, Brian

Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian

Keywords

Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Victorian Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship

Back
to top