- 9 Sep 2001
- Murdoch House, Cross Street, Redruth, Kerrier, Cornwall, TR15 2BU
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
REDRUTH CROSS STREET SW 64 SE (west side) 11/260 1.12.51 Murdoch House II* House, now meeting room. Later C18, altered, and renovation in progress at time of survey (1987). Granite rubble, the front covered by scored render, the rear rendered at ground floor and slate hung above; graduated slate roof with brick chimneys. Single-depth 2-unit plan. Two and a half storeys and 2 bays; north front (to yard), almost symmetrical; doorway offset to the right, with panelled door under overlight containing 5 lozenges; restored 12-pane sashed windows on both floors; modillioned eaves cornice; 2 gableted dormers in the roof, with 9-pane sashes. Gable chimneys. Rear (to Cross Street), altered since 1922 (see History below), now mostly covered at ground floor by modern external staircase of brick pierced by a doorway, flanked by 12-pane sashes, with a doorway at 1st floor, a 12-pane sash to the right and a small 9-pane fixed window further to the right.
Interior altered by removal of internal partitions at ground floor.
History: occupied in late C18 by William Murdoch, who made the first model steam-powered carriage here in 1784, and also invented gas lighting and used it in the house in 1792. House damaged by fire in 1922; previously the rear elevation had a raised doorway at ground floor, approached by 3 steps, a shop window to the right of this, and low cellar windows on both sides.
Listing NGR: SW6981241961
© Ms Jenny Leathes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Leathes, Jenny
Rights Holder: Leathes, Jenny
Granite, Render, Rubble, Slate, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Meeting Hall, Civil, Public Building, Recreational, Recreational Hall