This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 14 NE TUDDENHAM ST. MARTIN THE STREET
3/31 Church of St. Martin 16.3.66
Church. Mediaeval with alternations of 1843, 1861 and 1920 Nave, chancel west tower, south porch, north vestry. Nave and chancel walls of plastered flint rubble with limestone dressings. Tower of squared knapped flint and limestone rubble, the belfry stage with chequerwork of red brick and flint; diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapets with flushwork panels.
Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. C12 north doorway with 2 orders of engaged shafts with cushion capitals, roll and chevron moulded arch; C15 plank door. An early C14 angle piscina with moulded shafts beside blocked south chancel window. Major alterations of mid and late C15. Legacies for the building of tower survive from 1452-60. 3 stages, the west doorway has a labelled arch with weathered carving in corbels and spandrels; original door with moulded battens. West window above of 3 lights. North and south nave windows of 3 lights, late C15. Good 5-bay late C15 roof with hammer-beams carved as angels; more angels are affixed to wall-pieces. Heavily moulded cornice, high collars and kingposts. Roodloft stairs in south wall complete with upper and lower doorways; in the north wall opposite is an image niche.
Octagonal limestone font, an inscription on the base records its gift in 1443 by Richard and Agnes Sylvester; very fine sculptured figures in high relief on bowl and at corners of stem; painted pyramid cover added C19. C15 oak octagonal pulpit with exceptional carving; corner turrets support figures in niches, and each panel has a traceried head; the door (now facing the wall) has a carved portcullis on its panel. Fine poppyhead bench ends of C15, with buttresses supporting carved figures; thoroughly but skilfully restored c.1843 by Henry Ringham; some of his choirstalls also have C15 bench ends. Vestry and south porch added 1920 (date on tie-beam), in the Tudorbethan style. East window renewed in C14 style, complete with glass by F. Preedy, 1861. In the sanctuary is a wall-tablet with painted coat of arms, to John Sicklemoore (1644) and his wife Elizabeth. Opposite is the painted coat of arms of Richard Keeble (1653); an oval plaque beneath to him and his wife Mary and 3 children. Floor slab of black marble in nave, to William Minter (1739) and Elizabeth (1729).
Listing NGR: TM1917248422
© R H MacMillan. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Macmillan, R H
Rights Holder: Macmillan, R H
Brick, Flint, Limestone, Plaster, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Place Of Worship, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque, Commemorative Stone
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.