Priests House / Priest's House

Date:
30 Jul 2000
Location:
Priests House, 99 High Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB5 0LX
Show all locations
Priest's House, High Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB5 0LX
Reference:
IOE01/02323/18
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TL 5562 SWAFFHAM BULBECK HIGH STREET (East Side) 16/129 No. 99 (Priests 19.8.1959 House) (formerly listed as Priest's House, High Street) II

House, originally an open hall, early C15 with a C16 jettied cross wing to the road. In early C16 the floor and chimney stack were inserted into the open hall. Timber-framed, rendered with Collyweston Stone slates and plain tiles. Hall timber-framed, plaster rendered with a steeply pitched, tiled roof with a ridge stack of clunch and brick. One storey and attics. The fenestration is all C20, but the doorways, although C20, are on the site of the original entries to the cross-passage. Jettied parlour range to road, mid-late C16.

Timber-framed plaster rendered with a roof retaining some of the original Collyweston stone slates at the front and plain tiles at the rear. Two storeys. The jetty joists are moulded and two of the original four jetty brackets survive. Two C20 windows on site of late C18 or early C19 flush frame hung sashes at first and ground floor and one doorway of similar period at left hand. The blocked doorway to the right hand is reset and has an unmoulded four centred arch in a square head. At the front are cast-iron railings by Wilkinson of Ely, mid C19, in the form of panels with grotesque mask heads at the centres. Inside. The hall range retains the original cross-passage entries with opposing doorways and two adjacent doorways leading to the buttery and pantry. One of these service doorways has been remodelled but the other has been exposed to show a four centred arch in square head with the spandrels carved with foliate ornament and one with a shield of arms and the other with a bearded male head with a coronet, probably a king. The early C16 floor is particularly fine with hollow and roll moulding to both the main beams and the joists. The inglenook hearth, contemporary with the ceiling, is of clunch. The roof was originally of crown-post construction but only one end of the tie beam to the display truss remains intact, the rest has been removed. It has a double ogee moulding. Between the hall and service bay, there is a closed truss with close studding and curved downward bracing from a central post to the middle rail.

The interior of the parlour range was remodelled late in C18, except for the first floor where the framing is visible. The posts have jowled heads and the main beams are stop chamfered.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p105, mon (8) Kelly's Directory

Listing NGR: TL5557462250

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1185 IOE Records taken by Bruce Knight; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Bruce Knight. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Knight, Bruce

Rights Holder: Knight, Bruce

Keywords

Cast Iron, Oolitic Limestone, Plaster, Render, Tile, Timber, Medieval Open Hall House, Monument <By Form>, Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Jettied House, Jettied Building, Railings, Barrier