Church Of St Cuthbert
- 8 Jun 2000
- Church Of St Cuthbert, Hebron, Castle Morpeth, Northumberland
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HEBRON HEBRON NZ 18 NE 11/66 Church of St. Cuthbert GV II Parish church, medieval (chancel walls possibly C12, nave later), remodelled 1793; organ chamber and vestry late C19. Squared stone, horizontally tooled in C18 parts; C20 tile roof. Nave and chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Gothick style. West end of nave has central projection containing pointed window with C20 latticed glazing, and sunk quatrefoil over, and carrying square bellcote; pointed openings, blind to north and south, impost band, cornice and truncated octagonal fleche. South wall of nave has renewed door at west end under pointed arch, and 2 pointed windows with C20 latticed glazing. 2 similar windows on north, where medieval masonry is visible in lower part of wall. Medieval masonry also visible in south and west walls of chancel; late C19 5-light east window in C15 style. Coped gables with kneelers.
Interior: late C14 or C15 pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders on semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Tall half-domed recess at west end. Late C19 flat-pointed Tudor arches to vestry and organ chamber. Font has moulded urn-like bowl on fluted shaft, set on square moulded plinth. 3 old hatchments on south wall of chancel. The chancel walls are markedly thicker than those of the nave, suggesting a possible earlier date.
Listing NGR: NZ1942789831
© Mr David J Wilkinson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wilkinson, David J
Rights Holder: Wilkinson, David J
Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship