St Mary Convent / Convent Of Our Lady Of Mercy

Date:
4 Jun 2000
Location:
St Mary Convent, Hunters Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, B19 1EL
Show all locations
Convent Of Our Lady Of Mercy, Hunters Road B19, Birmingham, West Midlands, B19 1EL
Reference:
IOE01/02333/29
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HUNTER'S ROAD 1.

5104 Lozells B19 Convent of Our Lady of Mercy (formerly listed as St Mary Convent under Handsworth) SP 0588 NE 21/2 25.4.52 II* 2.

1840-41 architect A W N Pugin. Highly original and carefully detailed conventual building 2 storey red brick, stone dressed, ranges on a simple and functional E plan with rear wing and cloister. Straight-froward construction in a simple Tudor-Gothic style. Some diapering to the brickwork. Stone coped gable ends with finials. Steep pitched slate roofs, gabled dormers. External and ridge chimney stacks. Fenestration consists of simple stone mullioned casement and bay windows.

The cloister to the rear has simple exposed timber truss roof and tiled floors.

The original chapel was destroyed in the war. The convent is contemporary with a group of Pugin's innovatory rationally designed religious houses.



Listing NGR: SP0586488903

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2179 IOE Records taken by R J Wheeler; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr R. J Wheeler. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wheeler, R. J

Rights Holder: Wheeler, R. J

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Nunnery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Religious House

Back
to top