This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
URPETH BEAMISH OPEN-AIR MUSEUM NZ 25 SW 219543 3/61 Winding engine house and boiler house at The Colliery 11.12.70 II
Winding engine house and boiler house. Previously listed at Chophill, Beamish Colliery (2nd. Pit). Built 1855, moved and rebuilt at Beamish Open Air Museum in 1974. Coursed stone with squared stone and brick dressings; Welsh slate roofs.
Tall, rectangular-plan, gable-fronted engine house. Flush quoins. Scattered openings; some under segmental relieving arches of brick. 2 wood corbels set high on front supported an A-frame wooden headstock (headstock dismantled at time of survey and to be replaced). Low-pitched roof with coped gables.
Single-storey boiler house on rear has later external brick stairway on left return; several 8-pane fixed lights and a boarded door; roof hipped at rear.
The engine house is the only surviving example in the County of a type once common in the Northern coalfield. ,
(F. Atkinson, Industrial Archaeology in the North-East of England, 1974).
Listing NGR: NZ2198054327
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Brick, Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Boiler House, Industrial, Steam Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Winding Engine, Transport, Lifting And Winding Structure
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.