- 25 Jun 2000
- Broadcasting House, New Bridge Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2564 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NEW BRIDGE STREET (south side) 21/412 17/12/71 Broadcasting House G.V. II Maternity hospital, now B.B.C. offices and studios. 1826 by John Dobson; land given by Corporation of Newcastle. Sandstone ashlar with coursed squared stone returns and rear; low-pitched dark slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 7 bays. Tudor style. Recessed wide centre bay has Tudor-arched surround to renewed door; corbelled oriel above with Perpendicular tracery. Flanking bays have 2-light windows below, canopied panels on brackets above; all windows and canopies cusped.
Label moulds. Eaves string; coped parapet. Historical note: Dobson gave his services free; other expenses were met by public subscription. Source E. MacKenzie History of Newcastle. Newcastle, 1827; pp. 517-520 'The Lying-In Hospital'.
Listing NGR: NZ2514564487
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Georgian Maternity Hospital, Health And Welfare, Specialist Hospital, Hospital, Radio Broadcasting Studio, Communications, Telecommunication Structure, Television Studio, Office, Unassigned, Building