This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2464 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD (north side) 15/473 Royal Victoria Infirmary Administration Block G.V. II Hospital offices. Foundation stone 1900 by Prince of Wales; building 1901-1906. By W. L. Newcombe and Percy Adams, after consultation with-Sir A. Waterhouse.
Sandstone ashlar ground floor, central pavilion, and central sections of end pavilions; remainder bright red brick with ashlar dressings. Roof of graduated Lakeland slate. 3 storeys and attics; 17 bays in all, with 3-bay centre and end pavilions. Central porte-cochere. Pilasters to pavilions with central top pediments, segmental over entrance bay. End pavilions have ground-floor central canted bay windows. All windows stone mullioned and transomed with leaded lights. 3 flat- headed dormers to each outer section; central attic in stone surround continuous with linking coped parapet. High roof, hipped over pavilions, with central lantern and high ashlar-corniced brick chimneys. Interior shows groined inner porch with 4 bronze commemorative plaques, recording gifts from Lord and Lady Armstrong and others;. Entrance hall and gallery panelled with inlay, in Baroque style; much flower decoration in stucco frieze and ceiling.
Listing NGR: NZ2451964950
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Office, Unassigned, Building, Hospital Block, Health And Welfare, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque