- 26 Jun 2000
- Branch Library, Fenham Hall Drive, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE FENHAM HALL DRIVE (South side) 8/239 Branch Library II Branch Library. Opened 8 June 1938 (plaque in vestibule). Brick with ashlar-coped plinth and ashlar door surround; pantiled roof. One high storey. 11 bays, symmetrical. Panelled double door and fishscale overlight in high, wide surround with architrave and recessed band above. LIBRARY in bronze letters over door. Metal glazing bars to fixed lights, with central casements and tiled brick sills, recessed in panels with soldier-course lintels, set in wide band of vertical courses. Felt- covered parapet coping. Hipped roof has central square ventilator.
Interior shows high quality woodwork and levelled glass. Fluted frieze to bookshelves lining walls. Vestibule, double doors to each side (one blocked) and single doors to issue desk with half-glazed screen; window in librarian's room at left gives view of library. A well-planned space. Radiating free-standing shelves and wall shelves with fluted frieze.
Listing NGR: NZ2180165558
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Felt, Pantile, 20th Century Library, Education, Recreational, Art And Education Venue, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument