Chimney Mill And Mill House
- 26 Jun 2000
- Chimney Mill And Mill House, Claremont Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT ROAD (south side)
8/163 Chimney Mill and Mill house
Mill and house, later golf club, now offices. 1782 by Smeaton. Built as 5-sailed mill. House of brick with painted ashlar dressings: 2 storeys, 3 bays; golf club front, added 1892, has bracketed canopy and raised surround, with NGC (Newcastle Golf Club) on one bracket and 1892 on the other, flanked by windows in raised stone surrounds; similar surround to single and tripartite first floor windows; battlemented parapet. Mill above of weatherboarding with wooden gallery: octagonal, with bargeboarded gables to windows in alternate bays; parapet.
Historical note: in use as a mill until 1892; as a golf club until 1975.
Windshaft and cap removed 1951.
Listing NGR: NZ2407365546
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Weatherboard, Wood, Georgian Mill House, Domestic, Industrial House, House, Dwelling, Industrial, Windmill, Monument <By Form>, Wind Power Site, Power Generation Site, Golf Club, Recreational, Club, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Office, Unassigned, Building