Parish Church Of St Martin
- 31 Mar 2001
- Parish Church Of St Martin, Bull Ring B5, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 3AG
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for BULL RING City Centre B5 34/6 Parish Church of St Martin The Grade shall be amended to read: II* (star)
BULL RING 1.
5104 City Centre B5 Parish Church of St Martin SP 0786 NW 34/6 25.4.52 II 2.
At least late C13 in origin and the mother church of Birmingham. Sandstone.
Large with nave and aisles, new tower and spire. Repaired in late C17 and late C18. Tower and spire restored by P C Hardwick in 1835-5 and the rest of the church in 1873-5 demolished, rebuilt and enlarged by the addition of transepts and an extended east end under the direction of J A Chatwin.
Restored, after bomb damage in 1956-7. Inside, 2 recumbent effigies of the C14 and one of circa 1400 in the north transept and a fourth of circa 1500 in the south chapel; also the south transept window designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris, 1875-80.
Listing NGR: SP0735386557
© Mr Geoff Dowling. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Dowling, Geoff
Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff
Sandstone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument