This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THE MARINA 1.
5204 St Leonards Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western Colonnade) TQ 7908 10/197 19.1.51.
II GV 2.
1828 by James Burton. One of a pair of terraces with Eastern Colonnade, on either side of the Royal Victoria Hotel. Painted stucco, ground floor rusticated. 4 storeys.
Doric colonnade runs along and projects forward from whole lower storey, forming arcade below and terrace above. Cornice runs whole length between 2nd and 3rd floors. Central frontispiece of 6 engaged Ionic pillars, flanked by a run of 8 windows, and terminated at either end by slightly projecting pavilions of 3 windows width, divided by pilasters, the right-hand end (Nos 54, 55 and 56) has been demolished.
Details of cornice, parapet, window architraves and etc, stucco. Sashes with nearly all of original glazing bars missing. Only Nos 48 and 49 have shop fronts which are modern. Part of James Burton's design for St Leonards.
Nos 36 to 44 (consec) and No 40A (Eastern Colonnade), Royal Victoria Hotel, Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western Colonnade), No 57 and Nos 60 to 62 (consec) form a group, of which Nos 60, 61 and 62 are of local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ7983208823
© Mr Clive Read. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Read, Clive
Rights Holder: Read, Clive
Stucco, Georgian Terrace, Domestic, Multiple Dwelling, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial, Colonnade, Unassigned, Building Component, Building