This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 32 NE PARISH OF STANTON-BY-BRIDGE DERBY ROAD 3/224 10.11.67 Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway GV I Bridge and causeway three quarters of a mile long. A bridge is first referred to in 1204. The present causeway dates from the late C13 or early C14. The bridge itself was destroyed by floods in 1795 and replaced 1795-7 by a new bridge probably designed by Thomas Sykes, the County Surveyor. Repairs 1682, repairs and widening 1799, 1808 , 1830, 1852-4 and blue brick strengthening arches inserted 1899. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar, repair and strengthening in red and blue brick. At the north end is the bridge over the River Trent, of 1795-7. Five arches ramped to the centre. Segmental arches with plain dripmoulds and between them, semi-circular cutwaters with rounded tops and pilaster strips above. Coped parapet walls with moulded stringcourse at the base, splaying out to north approach. Causeway to south. The first arch, a segmental arch partially rebuilt in 1977. To the south, a triangular buttress and group of rebuilt round arches. Then a pair of C14 pointed arches, visible to east, strengthened with C18 red brick ribs and engineering bricks of 1899. Widened to east.
Triangular buttress on each side. Continuing to south, the parapet wall is interrupted for a short stretch by wooden fencing. Intermittent sections of medieval stringcourse. Then a group of medieval segment pointed arches with triangular buttresses, the arches lined with engineering bricks in 1899.
Widened to east in 1853. Extensive length of medieval stringcourse before the next group of three medieval arches with triangular buttresses, the arches lined with engineering brick and widened to the west in 1853. Followed by a pair of later arches and a similar pair of medieval arches, the parapet to the east renewed in red brick. Further lengths of medieval stringcourse, and a medieval cutwater to east flanked by later arches and the springing point of a medieval arch. Then more lengths of medieval stringcourse, the wall battered below, and a pair of rounded arches with stepped voussoirs; possibly the two arches known to have been rebuilt in 1808. Finally a well preserved group of six medieval arches and a seventh rebuilt, round-arched in 1829. The segment pointed medieval arches are double chamfered and have five chamfered medieval ribs below, widened to west in 1854 with a further three ribs. Iron ties of 1854. The last curved portion of the causeway was built in 1830. Along the causeway are various masons marks. Also scheduled as an Ancient Monument (AM No: 7). Source: 'Swarkestone Bridge - An Appraisal', Derbyshire County Council 1978.
Listing NGR: SK3703027810
© Mr Thomas Bates. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bates, Thomas
Rights Holder: Bates, Thomas
Ashlar, Brick, Iron, Sandstone, Wood, Medieval Causeway, Tudor Transport, Elizabethan Bridge, Monument (By Form), Fence, Barrier, Wall
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.