Trent And Mersey Canal Lowes Bridge

Date:
12 Jun 2000
Location:
Trent And Mersey Canal Lowes Bridge, Lowes Lane, Swarkestone, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire
Reference:
IOE01/02349/18
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SK 32 NE PARISH OF SWARKESTONE LOWES LANE 3/250 Lows Bridge II Canal bridge. 1770 by engineer James Brindley, with minor later repairs. Red brick with stone dressings. Wide segmental brick arch on tapering jambs with plain brick spandrels and parapets, topped by chamfered stone copings. To top of the arch, on both sides is a plain stone plaque, that to east with cast iron oval plaque above inscribed '15'. The soffit of the arch has six iron reinforcements. To either side of the arch the walls splay outwards and finish in tapering square. Built as part of the Trent and Mersey Canal.

Listing NGR: SK3648829064

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0129 IOE Records taken by Thomas Bates; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Thomas Bates. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bates, Thomas

Rights Holder: Bates, Thomas

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Georgian Canal Bridge, Transport, Canal Transport Site, Water Transport Site, Bridge, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument

Back
to top