This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 18 SE SAWTRY HIGH STREET (West Side) 5/59 The Manor House 28.1.58 (No 33)
II House. 1795. Local gault brick, Flemish bond, with paler bricks to front wall and more random brickwork to end and rear walls. Plain tiled, mansard roof with ridge stack between front and kitchen wing at the rear and projecting stack to the south gable end. L-plan. Two storeys and attic.
Three dormers. Symmetrical facade of three first floor sixteen pane flush frame hung sashes with narrow glazing bars. The centre window is probably later. Central doorway has triangular pediment with foliate motif to the tympanum above dentil cornice and frieze with fluting, urns and a central open shell motif. Flanking demi-Ionic fluted pilasters to doorway architrave.
Bi-valve door with four panels, the upper two have large round bosses and pendant husk garlands. The garden doorway in the rear wall opposite the principal doorway has a moulded surround with a pulvinated frieze and a raised and fielded panelled door which has been reversed. Interior: Entrance hall with original dentil cornice and stucco roundel ceiling piece formed by tendril foliage in bolection moulded border. Raised and fielded panelled doors, one to former dining-room also has beading to the panels. Original staircase of four flights and two landings. The balustrade has been replaced but the shaped tread ends remain. The dining-room has a fine Adam style stucco ceiling. In the centre an eight pointed star enclosing festoon husks with ribbons and pendants, medallions and a roundel centrepiece of running foliage and flowers. The outer bands of ornament include serpentine foliage with leaves and daisies, roses and pinks, and an outer border of festoons of husks looped over a bolection moulding. The cornice has bands of egg and dart and anthemion plasterwork. At first floor, one bedroom retains its cornice of beading, foliate paterae and fluting and cyma moulding above a narrow frieze of acanthus and mask medallions. Dated 1795 on beam in the roof.
Listing NGR: TL1665383910
© Mr JM Webber. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Webber, Jm
Rights Holder: Webber, Jm
Brick, Tile, Georgian House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Manor House
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.