Number 145 Including Basement Area Railings In Front / St Georges Church Rooms

Date:
31 May 2000
Location:
Number 145 Including Basement Area Railings In Front, 145 King Street, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30 2PW
Show all locations
St Georges Church Rooms, 145 King Street, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30 2PW
Reference:
IOE01/02358/23
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SE KING STREET 839-1/16/80 (West side) 11/08/88 No.145 including basement area railings in front

GV II

Formerly known as: No.145 St George's Church Rooms KING STREET. Church rooms to Church of St George (qv), now a furniture showroom and warehouse. 1891. By Charles Baker. Partly rebuilt 1953. Red brick with York stone and terracotta dressings. Concrete tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Facade faces east; 3-window range. Basement windows with pediments. Ground floor with an entablature supported on unfluted Composite Order columns arranged in 2 pairs in the centre and single columns at the ends. Behind are wall pilasters. Round-arched central door with vermiculated spandrels and one round-arched window right and left within pedimented surrounds. The entablature has a central pediment. First floor with 3 casement windows under pediments separated by 4 Tuscan Order columns which rise to a terracotta frieze. The frieze has swags of fruit and flowers.

Full-width pediment above set with terracotta fleuron and rosette tiles and, in the centre, an equestrian tile. INTERIOR: basement disposition of 3 classrooms and offices still discernible. 2-bay entrance narthex with a stick-baluster staircase at north-east corner. Upper floor has been divided into 2 floors. Gallery at east end with cast-iron balcony railings and a pair of cast-iron columns with Corinthian capitals. West end of main room with large archway.

Roof structure of arched braces rising to king posts. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to east, cast-iron, with ball finials to the standards, ornate finials to the shafts and scrolls over the bottom rails. North return rebuilt 1953.



Listing NGR: TG5257907317

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0774 IOE Records taken by Nigel Gallant; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Nigel Gallant. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Gallant, Nigel

Rights Holder: Gallant, Nigel

Keywords

Brick, Cast Iron, Concrete, Terracotta, York Stone, Victorian Church Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Railings, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Showroom, Commercial, Warehouse