This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG5207NW CHURCH PLAIN 839-1/12/18 (East side) 27/06/53 No.24 Vicarage
Vicarage, converted to offices. Early C17 rear wing, facade dated 1718, extended 1781. Restored 1983 by and for the Paul Robinson Partnership (architects). Flint and brick rear wing, red brick facade. Roofs of black-glazed pantiles. EXTERIOR: main 1718 front of 3 storeys, 8-window range, in 8 bays. Door of 1983 in 5th bay (from left) with an overlight and a floating shell hood of 1718 set on scrolled brackets. Sash windows are C19 unhorned replacements with 9/9 glazing bars set within flush frames under gauged skewback arches. Attic sashes have 3/3 glazing bars. The left 3 bays are covered by a late C19 single-storey bay window extension fitted with 9/9 and 6/6 sashes under gauged skewback arches; balustraded parapet. Platbands between the floors of the main elevation. Low parapet rebuilt after bomb damage 1942 has a plaque recording construction in 1718 by the Corporation and repair by Wm. Fisher, Mayor, in 1781. Gabled roof. South gable formerly shaped, but rebuilt to east slope. To left of elevation is a 2-storey extension probably of 1781. Full-height canted bay window rebuilt after 1942: sash windows have arched glazing bars and multiple panes. Modillion and dentil eaves cornice. Red pantiles to roof, which is hipped to the north. North return with one replaced tripartite sash each floor. Rear C17 wing of 2 storeys. South side with a rendered ground floor and a C20 casement inserted after outshut removed late C20. Two 6/6 horned sashes to first floor. Gabled roof. North front with a full-height late C19 outshut fitted with 6/6 sashes. INTERIOR: the C17 wing to rear has 3 bridging beams with sunk-quadrant mouldings and tongue stops. Remains of a fire canopy at east end. Roof of this part retains 2 pairs of early C17 upper crucks and 2 tiers of butt purlins. Late C19 front extension enlarges an existing room fitted with late C19 large-framed panelling in C18 style matching the C18 panelling in the ante-room immediately south. The south room to the facade has mid C18 large-framed panelling, a dado rail and a shouldered and eared overmantel. An early C18 closed-string staircase with turned balusters and a moulded handrail rises to the first floor. An early C19 staircase with turned balusters continues to second floor. Roof of front block of
simple rafter and purlin type (original blown off by bomb in 1942).
Listing NGR: TG5243907977
© Mr Nigel Gallant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gallant, Nigel
Rights Holder: Gallant, Nigel
Brick, Flint, Pantile, Tudor Vicarage, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Clergy House, Jacobean Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Office, Unassigned, Building
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.