This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HIGH STREET 1.
1485 (South Side) No 83 (Now part of No 84) SP 5106 SE 9/415A 12.1.54.
II GV 2.
House and modern shop. Late C18 4-storeyed stuccoed front with cellars and a rusticated ground floor shop. There is a moulded cornice and 2 composite pilasters, the caps of which are carved with heads of Bacchus. Above the cornice is the 3rd floor which has 2 blind sash windows. 4-panel door with rectangular light over. The 1st floor has an iron balcony and a 3-light late C18 Venetian window. There is a stone band at the 2nd floor which has 2 sash windows in plain reveals. History. A tenement here was known as the Angel in 1552; in 1778 it has been "the principal Inn for more than a century" ; in 1835 Queen Adelaide held a drawing room here. No 83 was the coffee room and the rest of the inn extended eastwards on to the site of the Examination schools but in 1828 No 84 was also part of the inn. Certain repairs were done circa 1765 (Oxf Hist Soc LXIX (1916), 343). It ceased to be an inn in 1866. See also ib XV (1889), 131; XXI (1892), 156; LVI (1914) Plan VI and for leases and tenants pp. 184-6; also Boswell's Johnson and Torington Diaries, I, 5.
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5183106239
© Micaela Basford. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Basford, Micaela
Rights Holder: Basford, Micaela
Stucco, Medieval Inn, Tudor Commercial, Elizabethan Domestic, Residential Building, Coffee House, Eating And Drinking Establishment, House, Monument (By Form), Dwelling, Shop
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.