The Parish Church Of St Peter
- 6 Jul 2000
- The Parish Church Of St Peter, Beechwood Lane, East Lavington, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28 0NA
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE 18/1 The Parish Church of 18.6.59 St Peter
II* C13, restored, in fact largely rebuilt by G E Street about 1870 and again in 1937 at the expense of Mrs Catherine Macdonald Bushanon of Lavington Park. Chancel, south transept or chapel, nave with north aisle and bell-gable at west end of the nave. The Reverend Henry Edward (afterwards Cardinal) Manning was Rector of the living, combined with Graffham, from 1833-51 and Archdeacon of Chichester from 1841-51. He was married in the church on the 7 November 1833 to Caroline, third daughter of the previous Rector, The Reverend John Sargent and grandaughter of Mrs Sargent of Lavington Park. Mrs Manning is buried in the churchyard but has no tombstone. The Reverend Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford and later of Winchester, was also married in the church on the 11 June 1828 to Mrs Manning's eldest sister, Emily. Both she and the Bishop are buried in the churchyard beside Mrs Manning.
Listing NGR: SU9462016263
© Mrs M Cleaver. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cleaver, M
Rights Holder: Cleaver, M
Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship