This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LITCHBOROUGH BANBURY ROAD SP65SW (South side) 6/116 Church of St. Martin 17/05/60
Church. C13, C14, some work of C15; restored 1883, by Albert Hartshorne. Coursed ironstone rubble, coursed squared ironstone, ironstone and limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east window with straight head, 3-light windows north and south with reticulated tracery and ogee-arched heads and 1-light low side windows north and south with cusped ogee-arched heads.
Chamfered arched priest's door to south. Chamfered plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, offset buttresses between bays and chamfered string course at sill level stepped over low-side windows and door as hood mould. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of quatrefoil windows, except for 2-light straight-headed window at east end either side which have ogee-arched lights; all in square chamfered stone surrounds. 3-light straight-headed windows to north side of nave with pointed trefoil heads to lights of middle window, reticulated tracery to those either side. Many-moulded north door with shafts to outer arch, moulded capitals and hood mould. Carved stone above with heads and ithyphallic figure. offset buttresses between bays, offset diagonal buttress to east angle. South aisle has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a 2-light window with Y-tracery to south-east, and 2-light straight-headed windows with trefoil-headed lights to east of porch and at west end of aisle; lancet window to west side of porch.
South door similar to north door in gabled porch with double-chamfered doorway, blacked windows north and south and obelisk finial to gable. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door, cusped ogee-headed 1-light window above, polygonal stair turret to south, one-light window to middle stage north with cusped head and 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings. Diagonal offset buttresses and battlmented parapet. Plain stone-coped parapets to rest of church. All windows and doors have hood moulds, except for clerestory and porch windows. Interior: chancel has ogee-arched piscina and trefoil-headed sedilia. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has 4-bay double-chamfered south arcade with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded capitals; part of round-arched head of former clerestory. window now blocked. South or Foxley aisle has piscina with pointed trefoil head.
Triple-chamfered tower arch, 2 outer arches dying into wall. Tie-beam roof to nave dated 1814. Plain round font with C17 octagonal pyramidal cover with ball finials. 7-sided C17 pulpit. One panelled box pew (hall pew), rest C19 incorporating cut-down box pew panelling. 3 hatchments, oil on canvas. Medieval stained glass to heads of 2 windows on north side. Shield in head of lancet window to south-west with symbol of Trinity, probably also medieval. C19 stained glass window to south aisle and tower: east window of 1889. Monuments: brass plate on plain slab in nave to Henry Boughton d.1614. Wall monument and alabaster effigy on tomb chest to Sir John Needham d.1618. Wall monument is dated 1633 and has gadrooned surround to inscription. flanked by columns, apron with cherub's head, vine trail frieze and cartouche of arms above, flanked by finials incorporating other smaller cartouches. Another inscription on tomb-chest where Sir John Needham is referred to as GENTLEMAN PENSIONER UNTO THE LATE QUEENE/ELIZABETH OF HAPPIE MEMORIE AND AFTERWARD UNTO OUR LATE GOVERAIGNE LORD KING JAMES' Horizontal oval white marble wall monument to Thomas Grant d,1803. Wall 'monument to Edward Grant, d.1812, and Jane Grant, d,t?il, signed C. Prasperi, London, with mourning cherub leaning on down-turned torch, seated on inscription plaque. Almost life-sized angel on plinth erected by Edward Grant, 1907, recording names on plinth of all members of family buried in vault below, Female angel has upturned left arm and holds scroll in right hand inscribed UNTIL/THE DAY/DAWN.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.291 and 292; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; 'Litchborough in Northamptonshire', A short history of village and church (leaflet).
Listing NGR: SP6326654257
© Rod Poxon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Poxon, Rod
Rights Holder: Poxon, Rod
Ironstone, Lead, Limestone, Rubble, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.