This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ3105NW STANFORD AVENUE, Preston 577-1/21/1164 (South East side) 22/05/95 Church of St Augustine
Church. Nave of 1896, chancel of 1914 by GES Streatfield, a pupil of TG Jackson who worked in R Blomfield's office before setting up his own practice. Sir TG Jackson acted as consultant for the later period. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and tiled roof. Comprises a 5 and a half bay nave with clerestory and 4 bay apsidal-ended chancel with ambulatory and clerestory and Lady chapel. South porch.
The tower was never built and the west end was left uncompleted. EXTERIOR: nave of 1896 has paired Perpendicular windows to each bay, articulated by pilasters and blank niches to centre of each bay. Triple cinquefoil lights to aisles. Octagonal stone finial to east end. South porch has cross finial and sundial with motto underneath "THE LIGHT COMETH WHEN NO MAN CAN WORK" Arched doorcase with trefoil lights to fanlight and double doors with elaborate scrolled hinges. Chancel of 1914 has windows with reticulated tracery above flying buttresses with octagonal finials and continuous-light windows below. Lady chapel has double cinquefoil lights with tracery above buttresses. West front has end buttresses and central pointed arched window flanked by 2 lancets. Arched west door set in penticed porch with triple lancet window. INTERIOR: Perpendicular style arcade and stained glass by Charles Eamer Kempe and Walter Ernest Tower.
Listing NGR: TQ3106805951
© Mrs Chris Dawson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Dawson, Chris
Rights Holder: Dawson, Chris