Church Of St Peter
- 10 Sep 2000
- Church Of St Peter, School Lane, Hascombe, Waverley, Surrey
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 03NW HASCOMBE C.P. SCHOOL LANE
10/170 Church of St. Peter
Church. 1864 by Henry Woodyer. Rough-coursed galleted sandstone with ashlar dressings; plain tiled roof with wood shingled broach spire and bellcote. Nave and north aisle with independently roofed chapel to south, bellcote to west, chancel to east, vestry to north east and porch to south west. Offset buttresses and paired lancet fenestration in C13 style, with smooth ashlar surrounds to windows. Quatrefoil panels between windows on south side. Diagonal and clasping buttresses to chapel. Plinth and sill course to four "shouldered" lancets under continuous hood moulding. Trefoil window and door to west end of chapel with door in shallow forward break. Large 3-light and trefoil windows to east and west of the chapel. Coved eaves on chancel with apsidal east end. Four windows to south, two windows to north, either side of easternmost buttress containing window. C20 vestry to north of chancel. Three paired and one single lancet to north side of church. West front:- Three-light window with three blind quatrefoils and nook shafts. Three louvred openings to each face of bellcote above. Gabled porch to south with braced entrance posts and V-strut roof. Arched openings to sides.
Roll moulding around south door.
Interior:- Unusually complete mid-Victorian scheme of decoration. Nave walls painted with the "miraculous draught of fishes" in 1890 in gold and blue.
Patterned tile floor on nave. Detached nook shafts and rear arches to window surrounds. Richly decorated chancel and apse. Roof rafters cusped and gilded, deep east lancet made up into a rich composition with the wall surface adjoining used as a reredos, mosaic and marble inlaid. Candleholder sconces in shape of angels with stencilled decoration and rich decoration of soffit of chancel arch.
Font - 1690, from the old church. Square stone bowl on square stem. C15 Rood screen, restored in 1864 and decorated by Hardman and Powell. Stained glass also by Hardman and Powell. Monument - West Wall. Dedicated to William Middlefield, died 1785. By T. Hews Neo-classical style. Grey marble ground with flanking Cherubim and mourning female figure in Classical dress.
Inscription panel below with scrolls and garlands flanking oval relief.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp.302-3.
V.C.H. Surrey (1967 Ed) Vol. III pp.102-4.
Listing NGR: TQ0018139542
© Mr Keith Olding. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Olding, Keith
Rights Holder: Olding, Keith
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Georgian Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship