This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST CROSS ROAD 1.
1485 (East side) Holywell Manor SP 50 NW 24/119 12.1.54. II 2.
RCHM 252. Now a hostel of Balliol College. The original house was rebuilt in 1516 by Merton College and parts of this remain but the whole has recently been reconditioned with considerable additions, 1931. The ancient block is L shaped in plan with wings to the North and East. On the South side of the East wing is a gabled projection which functions as a porch and staircase well. The West elevation on the road is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 2 gables in each of which are modern 4-light stone mullioned windows. Stone slate roof and stone stacks. In the 1st floor are 6-single-light stone-framed windows with 4-centred heads, 3 of which are ancient and in addition there are 2 2-light similar but modern windows. The ground floor has 2-light similar, and a 3-light, windows, with square labels, some of which being original.
There is a renewed stone doorframe with a 4-centred head. The South elevation of the East wing is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 1st floor 2-and 3-light stone mullioned windows with 4-centred heads and a stone slate roof. The windows in the ground floor have renewed stone frames with modern sashes and there is also here one original but partly renewed, 3-light stone mullioned window with a square moulded label. The 3-storeyed gabled projection has angle buttresses, a stone slate roof, an original single-light stone framed window and some modern wood-framed windows. The North wall of the North wing has been rebuilt. There are modern additions on the East and North of the East wing. Interior: RCHM p 183 a. Includes some moulded ceiling beams in the former hall in the South wing, some original fireplaces, some reset C17 panelling, and some original roof timbers. History. For an account of its uses and inhabitants see Proc Oxford Archit Hist Soc V 203-4. For the history of The Holy Well on the site, see ib 207 and VI, 110-112. For drawing of 1820 exterior by J C Buckler, see Bodl MS Don A 3 II 72.
Listing NGR: SP5203006696
© S. F. Jamieson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jamieson, S. F.
Rights Holder: Jamieson, S. F.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Hostel, Residential Building, College Lodgings, Lodgings, University College, Education, Holy Well, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Water Supply And Drainage, Well, Water Storage Site