The Limes Hotel / The Limes / The Bull Inn

Date:
18 Jun 2000
Location:
The Limes Hotel, High Street, Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6 8DQ
Show all locations
The Limes, 99 High Street, Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6 8DQ
The Bull Inn, High Street, Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6 8DQ
Reference:
IOE01/02388/17
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 05 NE

3/93 The Limes Hotel (formerly listed as No.99 (The 9.12.55 Limes)) - II*

Hotel, c.1500 with alterations of late C16 and late C18. The front range comprises a high-quality 2-cell timber-framed building of c.1500, encased at the front in red brickwork in, it is believed 1771. A parapet of red brick has a wooden moulded and modillioned cornice. Plaintiled roof; flat-roofed dormers with leaded casements. Rear chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys and attics. 6 windows. C18 sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, and small panes. Good C18 entrance doorway: an open pediment on engaged Roman Doric columns; the whole entablature is enriched with fretted patterns. 6-panelled door and panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlight with scroll-patterned glazing bars. The doorway is approached by 7 stone steps with wrought iron railings. Both cells in the front range have a large room on each floor: at the ground storey are ceilings of richly-moulded joists of c.1500, the main beams are also embattled. At the upper storey both rooms (now subdivided and with attics inserted) have an open truss with an octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and base. A long range to rear right is in 3 sections: a short section of c.1600 with a massive internal chimney, a longer range to rear of mid C16 having a 5-bay roof whose crown posts are square with long straight braces, and a C17/C18 extension beyond. A 2-storey block was added to rear in c.1771 forming a double-pile plan; hipped plaintiled roofs, and at 1st storey are original small-pane sashes with flush frames. A large mid C20 single-storey extension to rear. On the Ashburnham Estate Map of 1772, the premises were described as The Bull Inn, and extensive ranges at the rear enclosed a courtyard.

Listing NGR: TM0877255121

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2075 IOE Records taken by A G Turner; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© A G Turner. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Turner, Ag

Rights Holder: Turner, Ag

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Building, Unassigned, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Inn, Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Hostel, Public House, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational

Back
to top