This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 0855
3/95 Nos.107 and 109 -
Two houses, built as one in early C15. A former open hall house with two contemporary cross-wings. Alterations of c.1500, c.1600 and late C19. 2 storeys, 4 windows. Timber-framed, encased at front in C19 painted gault brick, with a flat pilaster rising to the foot of each of 3 gables.
Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. Rear chimneys of red brick. C19 windows with flat arches of gauged brick. No.107 has C19 windows with wooden mullions and transomes; No.109 has similar windows of late C20. No.107 has a 4-panelled C19 entrance door, the upper panels glazed; No.109 has a late C20 boarded and battened door. No.109 contains the hall and right-hand wing; the present entrance marks a cross-passage within the service wing. A moulded spere-beam, with evidence for posts and braces now removed, is at the end of the former open hall to the left. The chamber over the service has a fully- exposed crownpost roof of 2 bays; the open truss has a cambered arch-braced tie-beam with a short octagonal crownpost, 4-way knee-braced and with a moulded capital. This wing has massive exposed floor joists and evidence for a jetty towards the street. No.107 comprises the left-hand cross-wing, which has a complete crownpost roof, the square crownposts 2-way knee-braced. To the rear of the hall range is a 2-bay wing of c.1500, which may once have been detached. It has underbuilt jettying on 2 consecutive sides, with concealed moulded bressumers and a missing corner-post, and a plain crownpost roof. The ground floor room of this wing has mid C18 wainscotting and there is a little matching joinery elsewhere. An upper floor was inserted over the hall c.1600, with ovolo-moulded beams and joists. A large open fireplace (now blocked) was placed against the rear wall of the hall, and the original roof over the open hall was rebuilt with a gable towards the street. A rental of 1476 states of this house:- "Robert Flegg holds free a tenement called Bretts, formerly owned by John Raven". Samuel Alexander founded a bank here in 1744, before moving to No.129 High Street in 1756.
Listing NGR: TM0874855148
© A G Turner. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Turner, Ag
Rights Holder: Turner, Ag
Brick, Tile, Timber, Medieval Jettied House, Monument <By Form>, Jettied Building, Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Open Hall House, Hall House, Bank (Financial), Commercial