Poundizend / The Ancient House

Date:
28 Aug 2001
Location:
Poundizend, King William Street, Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6 8AD
Show all locations
The Ancient House, 1 And 3 King William Street, Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6 8AD
Reference:
IOE01/02391/21
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NEEDHAM MARKET KING WILLIAM STREET TM 0855

3/134 Nos. 1 and 3, The Ancient - House 9.12.55 - II*

Two houses, built as one substantial house in late C14 or early C15. (The date 1480 in right-hand gable is spurious). A central open hall with two cross- wings. Two storeys; one cross-wing has an attic. Timber-framed and roughcast with much exposed and painted oak framing, augmented with early C20 false half-timbering. The solar cross-wing at the corner of Hawksmill Street is jettied on 2 sides, with broad knees, supporting alternate exposed joist ends and a moulded bressumer. At the corner is a massive post with a moulded and embattled capital. At the upper storey is very closely-spaced studwork. The service wing to right is end-jettied at the front and has widely-spaced tension-braced studwork. Plaintiled roofs with early C20 chimneys of red brick. Early C20 mullioned and transomed casements. Boarded entrance doors.

The 2-bay open hall has a central truss with massive moulded arch braces to the cambered tie-beam; the octagonal crownpost has a moulded capital and heavy 2-way braces (the post was designed to have lateral braces, but seems never to have received them). Heavy smoke-encrustation. Both cross-wings also have complete crown post roofs; the solar roof has an octagonal post at the open truss with a responding pilaster at the rear wall. Studwork has prolific tension-bracing throughout, but is closely spaced in the solar wing only.

Twin service room doorways with steep 2-centred arched heads; similar doorways in the rear wall of the solar wing indicate an outside stair in the position of the C20 one. A fragmentary rear hall window has evidence for traceried lights below a transome. In early or mid C16, an upper floor was inserted into the hall with heavily moulded main beams and joists. In 1476 the house was known as Poundizend, the property of John Flegg, and in 1523 was occupied by John Gardiner (both were wealthy clothiers).

Listing NGR: TM0879755250

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2075 IOE Records taken by A G Turner; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© A G Turner. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Turner, Ag

Rights Holder: Turner, Ag

Keywords

Brick, Oak, Roughcast, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Monument <By Form>, Open Hall House, Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument

Back
to top