This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 3770 OVER HORSE WARE (East Side)
10/105 Church Farmhouse 31.8.62 (No. 2 Horse Ware)
House, c.1700 but with earlier stack. Red brick, mostly Flemish bond with tiled roof, hipped, and ridge stack between front and rear ranges. Plain eaves cornice. Original L-plan. Two storeys and attics. Two hipped dormers. Segmental arches to five later flush frame windows, including three C19 or C20 hung sashes of twelve panes each in open boxing. Central doorway with later doorcase and panelled door. Alternating burnt stretches and red brick headers to segmental arches of two ground floor C19 hung sashes to right of doorway. The left hand windows have been replaced by a one larger window. Right hand side elevation has original blind window openings and a doorway, now glazed. Interior: There are abutting inglenook hearths between the front and service ranges. The brick is narrow and probably remains from an earlier house on the site. Early-mid C18 closed -string staircase of five flights with turned balusters, square newels and moulded rail. The roof is of staggered butt purlin construction and contains re-used timber.
The parlour has a smaller fireplace and flanking round headed cupboards with raised and fielded panels.
Listing NGR: TL3731570805
© Mrs Jane Greatorex. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Greatorex, Jane
Rights Holder: Greatorex, Jane
Brick, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.