Old Toll House
- 19 Jul 2000
- Old Toll House, Braunston Wharf, Braunston, Daventry, Northamptonshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRAUNSTON BRAUNSTON WHARF SP56NW 4/71 Old Toll House
Pair of houses and former Canal Toll Office. Early/mid C19. Brick, hipped corrugated tile roof, brick stacks. 2 storeys and cellar; 3 bays. Doorways in left and right bays have moulded wood surrounds. 6-panel doors and moulded timber hoods on brackets. Central 6-pane sash window with painted brick lintel.
Similar windows to first floor. Cellar entrance with concrete lintel on left side. Sash window in recessed brick arch above. 2-storey canted bay with sash windows on right side facing canal. Extension at rear, probably the former toll collection office. Brick, one stormy; 2 bays. Doorway with flat arched brick frame and plank door in left bay. Window with similar frame and old iron glaz'ing bars to right. Interior not inspected. The Grand Junction Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in I793, The Braunston section was complete by 1796. In 1929 it was taken over by the Grand Union Canal Company and the name was changed.
(A.H. Faulkner: The Grand Junction Canal, 1972).
Listing NGR: SP5382765865
© Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Airlie Hunter, John
Rights Holder: Airlie Hunter, John
Brick, Tile, Georgian Toll House, Victorian Transport, Road Transport Site, Domestic, Transport Workers House, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>