This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STATION ROAD Square and Compass.HOuse
SK 26 SE 10/156
II 2 '1735 RC'. Date in door lintel but PH made up of 4 adjoining sections, each with different roof height, forming 1 long building. Situated on corner facing Darley Bridge (q.v.). Coursed stone, east-end with quoins; welsh slate roof. Each section has end chimneys. 2 storeys. .8 windows, a mixture of sashes and Casements, some retaining glazing bars. Loft door at centre 1st floor. Western section has door with massive stone surround and date as above. 2 centre sections each have segmental arched way in entrance: the Western one now contains a window; eastern one has opposite double doors and stone flagged floor between, and further east is another house door with massive stone surround. Eaves line of 2 eastern sections appears to have been raised. Parish boundary post attached to front of inn. Built in stone seats to front of eastern cottage. Buildings is also of interest in that it was connected with the growth of the lead mining industry. The name derives from the survey of one of the soughs draining the mines.
Listing NGR: SK2705662150
© Ms Julie Woodhouse. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhouse, Julie
Rights Holder: Woodhouse, Julie
Stone, Welsh Slate, Georgian Inn, Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Seat, Unassigned, Boundary Post, Monument <By Form>, Boundary, Public House, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational