Church Of St Botolph
- 14 Jun 2000
- Church Of St Botolph, Church Street, Aspley Guise, Mid Bedfordshire, Bedfordshire, MK17 8DQ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 9436-9536 ASPLEY GUISE CHURCH STREET 5/14 Church of St Botolph 23.1.61 GV II* Parish church. Medieval origins, extensively reworked early and later C19.
Mainly coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Tower of coursed limestone rubble. Clay tile roofs to chancel and chapel. Slate roofs to nave and aisles. Chancel, N rector's vestry, N organ chamber and choir vestry, 8 chapel, nave, N and S aisles,W porch/tower. Chancel: late C19, 3-light pointed-arched E window, 2-light pointed S window. N rector's vestry: late C19, with 2-light window and flat roofed C20 brick addition adjoining to N. N organ chamber/choir vestry: late C19 projecting gable, with flat-headed 4- light N window. S (Nativity) Chapel: late C19. 2-light pointed E window, 3- light square-headed S window, and 3-centred arched S doorway. Nave: C15, reworked C19. 4-bay N and S arcades, parts of N one original. Clerestories on both sides have 4 2-light square-headed windows. C19 embattled parapets. N aisle: E part (now N chapel) is medieval, partly reworked C19. Slightly taller W part C19, probably 1855. W part has 3 square-headed 3-light windows.
E part has 3-light square-headed window and 4-centred headed doorway surmounted by 2-light square-headed window. 3-light E window gives onto N organ chamber. Rose window to W. Embattled parapet. W porch/tower: C15, repaired C17, C18 and 1855. 3 stages, divided by string courses, with diagonal buttresses to W angles. C19 embattled parapet. Square-headed 2-light window to each side of bell-stage. S elevation has pointed-arched doorway surmounted by square-headed single light. W elevation has pointed-arched dooway. Interior: roofs mainly C19, except N aisle E end retains one original moulded king-post truss with figured corbels. N aisle has C15 traceried screen. C14 circular font with 4 moulded shafts forming corners. N aisle has tomb chest with effigy of knight, probably Sir William Tyrington, e1400. N aisle floor has brasses, one to John Danvers, rector, c1410, other c1500, probably to Sir John de Gyse IV. 2 polychrome marble wall monuments to N aisle N wall, to Francis Norcliffe, 1724, and William Wright 1807. Chancel N wall has brass, in simple marble strapwork surround, to William Stone, rector from 1583 to 1617.
E.M.R. Ditmas The Parish Church of St Botolph, Aspley Guise: A Short History 1970.
Listing NGR: SP9424936248
© Mrs Serena Teer. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Teer, Serena
Rights Holder: Teer, Serena
Ashlar, Clay, Ironstone, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument