Stotley Hall

Date:
17 Jul 2000
Location:
Stotley Hall, B6282, Middleton In Teesdale, Teesdale, Durham
Reference:
IOE01/02431/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

MIDDLETON IN TEESDALE B6282 (North side) NY92NE 15/93 Stotley Hall 14.9.66 II* House. Circa 1600. Coursed squared rubble, some large blocks, with millstone grit quoins, ashlar dressings and boulder plinth; roof of graduated stone flags with stone copings and some corrugated asbestos on rear outshut. Main range and left cross wing.

2-storey, 2-bay main range, 2-storey cross wing projecting one bay at left front and rear; with one-storey, 3-bay addition breaking forward. One-storey, 2-bay set-back right addition. Rear full-width one-storey outshut.

Boarded door in chamfered Tudor-arched surround under hollow-chamfered label mould. Similar label moulds over 2 and 3-light windows with deeply-chamfered surrounds in large irregular-block jambs; most mullions missing; some windows blocked, all others with renewed glazing. Half-glazed door inserted in windows of first bay and of gabled cross wing, under 3-light window with one mullion missing, and similar window in gable peak. No window over original door. Right extension and front left extension have stone surrounds or lintels over boarded doorsand blocked window. Roof has 3 ridge chimneys, those at left of first bay and at left of door ashlar with cyma reversa string, that at right end rubble with plain string. Right gable coping of large slabs. Right return has partly-blocked 2-light window in gable peak; left return of cross wing has blocked 3-light window on first-floor over C20 abutting barn. Rear shows some blocked 2-light windows.

Interior: massive ceiling beams, greater in depth than in width, with chamfered bowed soffits. Rear semi-circular plan stone newel stair, with boarded doors at foot and head. Roof has collared trusses of large scantling with 2 levels of trenched purlins. Fragment of stucco frieze decoration on first-floor landing. Left wing has stair, originally from main block left return but now blocked, of triangular-section wood blocks.

Source: North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group: survey 680. (Yorkshire Archaeological Society Archives).

Listing NGR: NY9680925543

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1212 IOE Records taken by Derek Le Mare; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Le Mare. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Le Mare, Derek

Rights Holder: Le Mare, Derek

Keywords

Asbestos, Ashlar, Gritstone (Sandstone), Rubble, Stone, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling, Barn, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building

Back
to top