The Lowther

Date:
18 Mar 2001
Location:
The Lowther, Aire Street, Goole, East Riding Of Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, DN14 5QW
Reference:
IOE01/02437/31
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

GOOLE AIRE STREET SE 7423 (east side)

14/49 The Lowther 29.7.66

GV II Hotel and adjoining service/stables/stores ranges. Includes section to rear left fronting onto Adam Street, and section to rear right fronting onto Banks Terrace. 1824 with later C19 - early C20 alterations and shop front to left wing, alterations of c1960 to openings of left and right returns.

Red brick with fronts of fine stock brick in Flemish bond, rendered and painted to lower courses. Sandstone ashlar dressings, slate roof. L-shaped on plan: double-depth main hotel range with central entrance-hall west front; single-room wing to left, and service/stable/stores ranges to rear left, alongside Adam Street. Main range: 3 storeys, 2:3:2 bays with 3 central bays breaking forward; single-storey single-bay wing set back to left. Ashlar plinth. Projecting flat-roofed painted ashlar porch with paired square columns, chamfered to lower sections, carrying plain entablature with cornice and blocking course. Pair of similar pilasters flanking widened entrance with recessed C20 glazed double doors. Three 12- pane sashes to each side with sills beneath rubbed-brick cambered arches, the sills carrying wrought-iron spikes. Ventilator with decorative iron grille, blocked ventilator hatch and pair of inserted C20 ventilators to left. First floor: central full-length opening with part-glazed double doors (8 panes with margin lights over 2 panels), in ashlar architrave with plain frieze above flanked by carved consoles carrying moulded pediment.

Side bays have sill band, 12-pane sashes beneath rubbed brick flat arches.

Second floor: short 6-pane sashes with sills beneath rubbed brick flat arches. Entablature above, with narrow ashlar band, plain brick frieze, deep flat ashlar cornice and blocking course, raised over central section.

Double-span hipped roof. Corniced ridge and roof stacks, largely rebuilt. Wing to left has tripartite sash with glazing bars and sill with iron spikes beneath cambered rubbed-brick arch; later C19 - early C20 raised parapet with coved ashlar cornice and blocking course. Right return forms secondary south front of 3 bays: unsympathetically-blocked ground-floor windows and 4 inserted C20 casements. First-floor sill band. First floor: central window with later plate glass sash in original ashlar architrave with plain frieze above flanked by consoles carrying cornice, hood and blocking course; 12-pane sashes to side bays beneath rubbed brick flat arches. 6-pane second-floor sashes, eaves details, cornice and blocking course similar to west front. Plain stone-coped wall to right. Left return, facing Adam Street: single-storey section to right has ornate shop front with 6-panel doors and segmental overlights to each end, and central window of 5 segmental-headed lights with pilastered mullions and carved spandrels over panelled stucco apron, doors in pilastered surrounds with ornate carved consoles carrying dosserets with gablets, moulded cornice; coped parapet. 2-storey ranges to left have C19 sashes and C20 casements (some in partly blocked original openings) beneath segmental and cambered arches. Rear, facing courtyard: main range had original central ashlar ground-floor canted bay window with 8-pane sashes, panelled pilasters, moulded cornice and blocking course, beneath segmental relieving arch; 12- pane first-floor sashes and 6-pane second-floor sashes beneath tooled ashlar lintels. North range: taller former service range has C20 door and windows inserted in original ground-floor openings, 4-pane first-floor sashes.

Coach-house/stable range to right has pair of coach- house entrances with double board doors and passage entrance to right in tooled ashlar surrounds beneath segmental relieving arches, pair of original board doors with overlights, and inserted door to right beneath segmental arches; first-floor board door flanked by pairs of segmental-arched hatches, boarded-over at time of resurvey. South side of courtyard has single-storey range with double board doors and 4 single board doors. Interior of main hotel range.

Entrance lobby and hall have basket-arched openings with pilasters, archivolts and panelled soffits. Open-well cantilevered staircase has single flights up to each floor, with wreathed grip handrail, column balusters and profiled string. Basket-arched openings, moulded cornices and ribbed ceiling surrounds to upper halls. Good suite of 3 first-floor front rooms: large connecting double doors in panelled pilaster surrounds with rosette ornament, ribbed frieze, moulded cornice and hood;.larger side rooms have veined marble chimney-pieces with fluted and ribbed pilasters and frieze with roundel ornament; moulded cornice and ribbed ceiling surrounds with rosette ornament to each room; north room has interesting series of wall paintings above dado rail, somewhat damaged, with trompe l'oeil panels and designs: east wall has polychrome scene of Goole Barge Dock with ships, warehouses, etc, and painted door surround with putti and dolphin; monochrome designs to other walls: north wall has flags and wreathed medallion to chimney-brest with profile portrait of Aire and Calder Chairman, motifs with swags and lyres on pedestals to flanking alcoves; west wall has putti, cornucopia, festoons and cartouche inscribed:

AIRE & CALDER NAVIGATION GOOLE 20th JULY 1826

south wall has lyre motifs flanking the double doors. South room has similar painting beneath wall paper, with part of a polychrome dock scene mural on the east wall, with sailing and steam ships. First-floor east rooms have original chimney-pieces with ribbed surrounds and consoles, dado rail; moulded cornices with ribbed surrounds to ceilings. 4-panel doors in architraves. Second floor partly derelict and suffering neglect at time of resurvey. The windows were all replaced following damage by a Zeppelin raid on 8 August 1915. An impressive building with some good interior details, notably the first-floor suite. It was the first building to be completed in the original planned port settlement beside Goole Docks. Porteous J D, Canal Ports, 1976.

Listing NGR: SE7472623331

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1749 IOE Records taken by Janet Roworth; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Janet Roworth. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Roworth, Janet

Rights Holder: Roworth, Janet

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Render, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Service Wing, Domestic, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Shop, Coach House, Road Transport Site

Back
to top