Adam Street Garage And Adjacent Property To Left

Date:
18 Mar 2001
Location:
Adam Street Garage And Adjacent Property To Left, Adam Street, Goole, East Riding Of Yorkshire, East Yorkshire
Reference:
IOE01/02437/35
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

GOOLE ADAM STREET SE 7423 (north side) 14/45 Adam Street Garage and adjacent property to left

GV II Institute, later theatre, now garage. Probably the Literary and Scientific Institute of 1841 recorded in Kelly's Directory of 1867. C20 alterations.

Brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof.

2 storeys, 9 bays to Adam Street. First 2 bays set back slightly with rounded corner to left end. Plinth. Bays 4 to 9 have full-height round- arched blind arcading with imposts and channelled arches with drop keystones; containing in bay 4 double board doors; in bay 5 a blocked round- arched doorway with divided fanlight beneath a channelled arch with dropped keystone; in bay 6 double board doors; in bays 7 and 8 sashes with glazing bars beneath channelled wedge lintels with dropped keystones; in bay 9 double board door. To left, bay 1 has 4-pane sash; bay 2 has inserted wide board doors beneath concrete lintel and bay 3 has double board doors below blocked fanlight and channelled round arch on imposts with dropped keystone. First floor: bays 1 and 2 have 16-pane sashes; bay 3 has 4-pane sash, all with channelled wedge lintels and dropped keystones. Between bays 6 and 7 a plaque reads Public Rooms. Above bays 4 to 9 is a freize with vestigial lettering reading "Theatre Royal". Stack rising through front pitch of roof, and additional ridge stack. Chapel Street facade: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. To left: board doors in partially blocked entrance beneath 5-pane fixed overlight with 4-pane sash to left. To right: 2 board doors with divided overlights, one with "Theatre Royal" faintly discernable above. First floor: central board pitching door with two 4-pane sashes to left. Channelled wedge lintels and dropped keystones. Interior: proscenium arch flanked by Corinthian pilasters.

Pilaster strips to upper section of walls and several ceiling roses in former auditorium, now garage.

Listing NGR: SE7475023358

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1749 IOE Records taken by Janet Roworth; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Janet Roworth. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Roworth, Janet

Rights Holder: Roworth, Janet

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Welsh Slate, Victorian Literary And Scientific Institute, Education, Institute, Theatre, Recreational, Music Speech And Dance Venue, Garage, Transport, Road Transport Site

Back
to top