Church Of Saint Mary Magdalene

Date:
1 Apr 2001
Location:
Church Of Saint Mary Magdalene, Main Street, Twin Rivers, East Riding Of Yorkshire, East Yorkshire
Reference:
IOE01/02439/04
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SE 82 SW TWIN RIVERS MAIN STREET (south side) Whitgift 1/43 Church of St Mary Magdalene 14.2.67 (formerly listed under Whitgift Parish)

GV I

Parish church. C12 origins, largely demolished in mid C13, rebuilt in early C14. Early C14 arcades, chancel arch; C14 lower section to tower, with C15- C16 upper stages; aisles rebuilt 1582-3. Early C18 rebuilding, including reroofing nave. Restorations of 1898 included reroofing, new chancel.

Limestone ashlar to nave and lower stage of tower; upper stages of tower of brick faced in ashlar. Aisles of red brick in English bond, rendered and incised in imitation of ashlar. Random rubble to chancel. Limestone and sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs to nave and aisles, lead roof to chancel. West tower with 4-bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower (the bottom now below ground level): moulded plinth, full-height angle buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses between stages. Tall first stage has blocked C14 pointed west door with 2 wave-moulded orders, pointed 4-light transomed west window with round-arched lights, plain Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. Second stage has slit light to south, clock face to north dated 1919. Top stage has 4-centred-arched 2-light belfry openings with cinquefoiled lights and Perpendicular tracery. String course, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles and plain replacement pinnacles to centres of each side. Aisles: diagonal buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; pointed double-chamfered north and south doorways, that to north with hoodmould and studded oak door. C19 4-centred-arched 3-light north and south windows with cinquefoiled lights and incised spandrels, hoodmoulds and headstops; original Tudor-arched single-light east windows and narrower single-light west windows with hoodmoulds. Coped embattled parapets, that to north of rendered brick, that to south of ashlar, with central relief panel bearing cross and worn date (illegible at time of resurvey). Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses; 2 pointed traceried 2-light south windows, single similar north window; pointed traceried 4-light east window with hoodmould and headstops. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals, those to the south aisle responds more elaborate, with the abaci mouldings continued as string courses. Most piers with broach stops to square bases. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with moulded corbels to inner order and outer order dying into jambs. Chamfered segmental-headed doorway to tower spiral staircase with notched newel. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals and abaci continued as string courses. Chancel has C19 pointed chamfered arch to north. Restored C18 5-bay nave roof with corbelled tie beams, king posts and queen struts with trefoiled panels between, 3 of the tie beams with ovolo chamfers and inscriptions (partly obscured by C19 brattished panels), including a possible date of 1727. Ornate foliate ashlar corbels to C19 chancel roof.

Monuments. Wall tablets in south aisle: on north side, to James Stovin of 1777 with free standing urn and obelisk base; on south side, a group of 6 late C18 - early C19 tablets to the Stovin family in moulded ashlar surrounds with shaped heads and aprons, carved urn, foliate corbels etc; a large marble tablet to Elizabeth Stovin of 1768 in a moulded ashlar surround with a cartouche above bearing faded painted arms in foliate surround; small tablet to Cornelius Stovin of Whitgift Hall of 1779 with fluted base and cornice; to Thomas Coulman and family of Whitgift Hall, of 1852, with pilastered surround, by Skelton of York. Pedimented wall tablets in north aisle: to John Bell of 1831 by W D Keyworth of Hull; to Robert Bell of 1859.

Shaped wall tablets at west end of nave: to Rev William Romley of 1771, with urn above, and apron hung with guttae and floral drop; to Robert Romley of 1812, with urn and flaming lamps above, guttae and floral ornament below; painted wooden board in architrave to Elizabeth Romley and children of 1746.

Large closely-inscribed pedimented tablet at east end of nave to Egremont family of c1846 by John Earle of Hull. Graveslabs at east end of north aisle: coffin-shaped slab with incised panel beneath cinquefoiled crocketed ogee arch, probably C14-C15, with later inscription ALLICIA; rectangular slab of c1500 with incised arms and worn Gothic border inscription, perhaps the stone to Alexander and Elizabeth Aungier recorded here in the late C17; C18 slabs to John Simpson of 1733, to Dorkas Margreve of 1739, to William Thompson of 1743 with incised segmental arch. 12-sided font with roll- moulded bowl on shaft with moulded base. Pine bench pews in nave, probably C16 - C17, with ogee-mouldings, and arm rests with roll motifs bearing a variety of carved floral ornament. C19 copies in choir. Carved oak traceried reredos of 1901. Late C19 stained glass east and south windows.

Remains of former late C17 wooden frame turret clock at west end of nave.

The C12 church at Whitgift was pulled down before 1291, probably in the mid C13 by the Rector of Adlingfleet, John le Franceys, to thwart its appropriation by Selby Abbey. The cemetery and shell of the church were granted to Selby in 1304 and the church subsequently rebuilt.

N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 543; W Richardson, Some Useful Consumers of Waste: History in two Marshland Parishes, Adlingfleet and Whitgift, 1981, pp 87-127.

Listing NGR: SE8086922701

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1749 IOE Records taken by Janet Roworth; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Janet Roworth. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Roworth, Janet

Rights Holder: Roworth, Janet

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Lead, Limestone, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument

Back
to top